Gyumri bypass and Gyumri-Bavra road section (60 km)
Technical Assistance for the feasibility study, environmental/social impact assessment and detailed design of the Gyumri bypass and Gyumri-Bavra road section (60 km)
Name of ClientEuropean Investment Bank
Financing sourcesEuropean Investment Bank
AssociationLOTTI Ingegneria SpA (Italy) (Leader)
Duration02/2016 - 09/2017
The overall objective is to support the Government of Armenia to implement the North-South Road Corridor Investment Programme, which is part of the Armenian Transport Sector Development Strategy 2020.
This project represents the 5th section, last, of the North-South Corridor, the road that cross the entire Armenia, from the Iranian border at Meghri to the Georgian border at Bavra, crossing many important town, including the capital Yerevan and the second town of Armenia, Gyumri.
The project can be subdivided in two parts:
- The Gyumri Bypass project(about 15 km) , which allows to separate the traffic of the North-South Corridor from the urban one. Feasibility study will be executed in order to choose among different alternatives.
- The Gyumri-Bavra project (about 45 km), which is the upgrading of the existing road.
The existing road width varies from 8 to 12 meters. Pavement is in bad to very bad conditions. The final cross section will be 26 m wide with 2 separated carriageways. Each carriageway includes: 2 lanes of 3.6 m + 1 outer shoulder of 2.5 m, one inner shoulder of 0.9 m.
The road runs on rolling to mountain terrain form 1300 m to 2200 m.
Feasibility Study, Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, Detailed Design and Bidding Documents for the construction of the Gyumri bypass and the Gyumri-Bavra-Georgian border road section.
- Economic study including traffic study and forecast, HDM analysis,
- Environmental and social assessment including resettlement action plan and land acquisition. Public consultations along the alignment.
- Structural design of all concerned structures (bridges, culverts, overpass, retaining walls, tunnels). Existing structures assessment .
- Geotechnical assessment including geotechnical and pavement investigations, laboratory tests, borrow and quarry analysis, foundation design, slope stability analysis
- Road safety auditing